Highlights of the Department
- The Department imparts P.G. and UG of Geography based on CBCS syllabus.
- The students of the department excel in University Examination every year with 100% result and top ranks.
- Teaching-learning process is up to date in the department with regular use of Smartboards, ICT aids, and other teaching aids.
- The Department has a well-furnished laboratory and a departmental library.
On regular basis the students participate in various co-curricular and extra-curricular activities such as seminar, quiz, poster making, debate, power point presentation, exhibition, study tour etc.
- Final year students take up research projects every year on relevant socio-economic issues.
- National Seminars and Workshops are organized on regular basis on contemporary themes.
- Department runs a Credit base Add- On Certificate course on ‘Travel and Tourism Management’.
- The teachers of the department have undertaken ‘Research Project’ and they keep themselves updated by attending National/ International Seminars and publishing research articles in reputed journals.
- The Department has undertaken an outreach programme ‘Manthan’ under which the students of the department, accompanied by a faculty member provide remedial coaching to the under-privileged school students at ‘Manthan’ NGO, Khagaul every Saturday.
- The alumni of the department are well placed in various capacities such as Civil Services, lectureship, banking, and corporate sector. Some of the well-placed alumni are: Madhu Malti Ghosh, IAS, Ms. Nilima Kumari , IAS, Ms. Sheela Irani, Bihar Police Service, Ms. Divya, IAS, Prof. Ravi Kiran Sharma, Prof. in Geography, P.U., Ms. Swarnim Sinha, Urban Planner, California, Vihag Guru, Vice President, Yes Bank Ltd.
Students of MA Geography Sem. III participated in the National Webinar hosted by Sophia Girls’ College, Ajmer on 17th & 18th August, 2020
An Online Speech Competition was hosted by the Deptt. of Geography on 17.08.2020 on the topic ‘Duties of the Citizens in shaping New India’ for the students of PG Sem. III.
National Webinar on ‘Research Methodology and Application of GIS tools in Geography’ , organised by The Department of Geography, Patna Women’s College in collaborationwith The Department of Geography, Sophia Girls’ College, Ajmer, Rajasthan
BA I year 2nd semester students of Dept. of Geography participated in poster making competition on eco-friendly lifestyle.
B A IInd year 4th semester students participated in poster competion on Eco-friendly lifestyle.
PG dept. of Geography planted sapling at home on the occasion of World Environment Day.
Online quiz organized by Dept of Geography students on 30th May.
Department of Geography organized online quiz for PG 2nd semester students on 28th May
leadership webinar by dept. of Geography student
webinar attended by Geography students
Poster making by the students of BA I Sem. II Geography on the focal theme ‘Jal Jeevan Hariyali’ on 03..03.2020.
Parent Teachers meet held in the Deptt. of Geography on 25.02.2020 for the students of BA I Sem II.
A Field trip to Nalanda was organized by the Deptt. of Geography for the students of Add-on Certificate course ‘Travel and Tourism Management’ on 16.02.2020
A guest lecture was held in the Dept. of Geography on the topic ‘Advanced Cartographic Techniques’ by Prof. K.N. Paswan, former Head, PG Dept. of Geography Patna University and former Vice Chancellor, Magadh University on 14.02.2020. The students of M.A. I Semester I and the teachers of the department attended the lecture.
Deptt. of Geography organized a two-day exhibition on ‘Sustainable Development and Smart Cities’ on 23rd and 24th January 2020. The students of BA III prepared and exhibited different models related to the focal theme. The MA I students displayed self prepared items made out of waste materials.
Deptt.of Geography conducted a Christmas milan programme with the children of NGO ‘Manthan’, Khagaul on 14.12.2019.
Guest Lecture and training on surveying by Prof K. N. Paswan, Ex VC Magadh University, Retd. Head, Department of Geography, Patna University.The survey training was for BA ( Geography Hons.) Part III students.
As a part of Institutional Social Responsibility (ISR), the community service volunteers and teachers of the Deptt. of Geography handed over 12 bags of rice and 6 bags of daal collected during ‘Joy of giving week’ to the underprivileged school children at Manthan NGO, Khagaul.
A Study Tour to Gangtok, Sikkim was organized by the Deptt. of Geography from 15th to 21st October, 2019. All together 66 students of BA III Geography Hons. accompanied by 4 teachers/staff visited various places of geographical importance in and around Gangtok.
‘world Tourism Day’ was celebrated in the Deptt. Of Geography on 27th September, 2019. A college level written quiz was organized on the topic ‘Incredible India’ in which 137 students from different departments participated.
A session on ‘Brochure designing for Tourism Promotion’ was held for the students of Add-on course ‘Travel and Tourism Management’ at the Deptt. of Geography on 27.09.2019.
A class seminar on ‘Recent Trends of International Migration’ was organized at Deptt. of Geography on 27.09.2019.
Celebration of ‘World Ozone Day’ on 16th September 2019 by M.A. 1st Semester students of Geography – Beautification of terrace garden by using waste materials.
The occasion of World Ozone Day a Debate Competition was held in the Department of Geography B.A. III Years Hons. students on the topic ‘Development should not be at the cost of Environment’ On 16.09.2019.
Elocution Competition on ‘Patriotism’ organised at Deptt. of Geography on 16.08.19. The students of B.A. I Geography Hons. (Sem. I) participated in the programme.
Poster competition on the topics ’73 years of Freedom’ and ‘Mera Bharat Mahaan’ on 14th August 2019.
Two-day exhibition on the focal theme ‘Our Dynamic Earth’ – 29.03.2019.
A two-day exhibition on the focal theme ‘Our Dynamic Earth’ began in the Department of Geography, Patna Women’s College on 29.03.2019. The Students of Geography put various models in the exhibition depicting the land features of the earth and their dynamic nature. Some important models were on the topics like Interior of the Earth, Plate Tectonics Folding and Faulting, Course of a river, Glacial topography, Arid topography, etc. The students also displayed charts and posters on the concerned topics. The main purpose of the exhibition was to make the students more aware of and acquainted with the geography of earth and its dynamism. The exhibition was inaugurated by Dr. Sister M Rashmi A.C., Principal, Patna Women’s College and was organized under the supervision of Dr. Debjani Sarkar Ghose and Dr. Amrita Chowdhury, faculty members of the Department of Geography
Dr. Debjani Sarkar Ghose(HOD)
Dr. Amrita Chowdhury
Sister Anna A.C