Highlights of the Department
- Department of English was established in 1941. Programmes offered:
- Undergraduate and
- Post Graduate Programmes
Add on Courses:
- Certificate Course in German Language
- Certificate Course in French Language
- Performing Arts
- The department aims at creating a learning environment that is conducive to the development of critical faculty – the ability to think critically and independently – and making of socially responsible and committed students who have imbibed human values and are ethical in their practices.
- The department focusses not only on imparting curriculum based theoretical knowledge but also on sensitising students towards important issues and subjects, so that the acquired learning can translate into positive social intervention.
- The activities of the department aim at providing learning opportunities and exposure to the students. The regular activities include poetry writing and recitation, Skit based on literary texts, research project and poster making. Apart from this the department holds varied activities to promote student participation and performance.
- Guest lectures, seminars, interactive sessions on relevant themes are also organised.
- Movies / documentaries are screened and film appreciation classes organised.
- Teachers of the Department provide constant guidance – both academic and personal – to the students. Each teacher acts as a mentor to a group of students. Students share their academic and personal problems and the mentor provides counselling to the students.
- The Department has approximately 250 students belonging to the UG and PG Core Courses.
- Students are continuously assessed through class-room interactions, tests, quizzes, assignments, group discussions and projects.
- The success rate of students is 100%.
- Most of our students are well placed in good organizations and in Govt. Services.
- Many students are working as professors in universities and teachers and principals in schools. Many of them are working in corporate sector.
- A few students, who were selected by the companies at the campus recruitment, have been employed in foreign countries and are drawing handsome salaries.
- Meenakshi Mukherjee (former director, School of Languages and Linguistics, JNU) A distinguished scholar, academician, critic & writer of international repute.
- Lakshmi Chakraverty, IAS, former Chief Secretary, Govt. of Jharkhand
- Shashi Uban, IAS, former first secretary, Indian High Commission, Canada
- Manjari Jaruhar, IPS
- Mala Prasad, Allied Services
- Shilpa Singh, Bar-at-Law, London, at present practising in Delhi High Court
- Shinjini Kumar, former CEO, Paytm
21st August, 2021: On the eve of Raksha Bandhan, the fifth semester students of the Department of English, Patna Women’s College participated in an eco-friendly rakhi making and display competition on the online platform of zoom at 4 PM. There were twelve entries by students who displayed their rakhis along with a write up on the materials used and the message it conveyed. The event was judged by the former Head of the Department (English) Dr Shahla Rehana. The programme began with Dr Rehana deliberating on the importance of our bond with Nature and how these Rakhis can give a strong message of restoring the broken bond between the modern man and Nature. She exhorted the students to do their bit, in small ways like making compost from kitchen waste, saving water and electricity from wastage.
All entries were beautifully creative and loud and clear in their message.
The names of the winners are:
1st Prize – code 2 (Arundhati)
2nd Prize – code 3 (Lowrin Azad)
3rd Prize – A tie between code 5 and 7.
Code 5 ( Akshita Anand, Akanksha Singh, Antra Mani, Anushree Raj, Chhavi Dwivedi, Fatma Famiya, Shubhra.
Code 7 (Simran and Manaswini)
On August 14, 2021, the Department of English, Patna Women’s College, organised a virtual event on Zoom to celebrate 75 years of Indian Independence. The theme of the event was “The Voice for Freedom”.
The event had performances like group songs, dance performances, monologues, poem recitation, paintings and speech based on the theme.
It also had a “Jaago Zara” tribute dedicated to Indian women achievers from all the fields of life. All these performances celebrated and questioned the real sense of freedom for women in India.
At the end, the teachers of the department shared their views about Independence with the students. The programme ended with the song “Saare Jahan se Accha.”
On August 6, 2021, Department of English, Patna Women’s College organised the first session of “Reflections Lecture Series” which started as a monthly feature of departmental activity to interact with academicians and intellectuals from different spheres.
The topic of the lecture was
“Indian History Criticism: History, Texts and Ideas”.
The guest speaker of the lecture was Professor Dhananjay Singh, Chairperson of the Centre for English Studies at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
Two lectures were organised by the department of English for students .Thr speakers were Dr Sweta Sinha for IIT Patna on the Topic _Language,Gender,Power: What not to teach in a Language classroom.
Dr Amritendu Ghosal spoke on Dissent and Conflicting waves in the History of English Literature
leadership webinar by dept. of english student
webinar attended by English students
“Tribute to Girish Karnad and Toni Morrison” and “Poetry Competition” organized by English department on 23-oct-2019
Poster making organized by Communicative English and Media Studies department on 21-10-19
Department of English organised a PPT presentation on Popular literature for BA 2nd year students on 17th October.
Orientation program for students of Dakhal which is the debating society started by the department of English.
Students of the department of English presented a skit on the life of the legendary black American writer Toni Morrison . The programme was organised by Tata Institute of social sciences to pay tribute to the author who died recently.
Department of English is involved in organising this debating society .Dr Richa is the co -ordinator of the debating society.
Parents teachers meet held on 13th July